Tank Top Workout
You can do this at the gym or at home if you have dumbbells at home. How much weight do you need? I don't know. :) It depends how strong you are. Everybody is different. Start with 5 or 8 pound dumbbells for the shoulder moves.
First: warm up! If you are working out at home then do something to move your body for about 5-10 minutes: go for a quick walk around the neighborhood, walk in place, dance with your kids. If you're at the gym then hop on a piece of cardio equipment: treadmill, elliptical etc.
SUMMER WORKOUT ONE
PUSHUPS 8 - 12 REPETITIONS
CHEST PRESS 8 - 12 REPS
OVERHEAD PRESS 8 - 12 REPS
SIDE LATERAL RAISE 8 - 12 REPS
DIPS 8 - 12 REPS
PLANK 30 SECONDS - 1 MINUTE
COMPLETE ALL EXERCISES. REST FOR 1 MINUTE. REPEAT. REPEAT. REPEAT.
WHEN YOU DO THIS AGAIN NEXT WEEK SEE IF YOU CAN PUSH YOURSELF A LITTLE HARDER EITHER BY COMPLETING MORE REPS OR GOING HEAVIER. OR YOU MIGHT BE PERFECTLY HAPPY DOING THE SAME. IT'S ALL GOOD FOR NOW. YOU'RE MOVING!
1. pushups can and should be modified to suit your fitness level. true beginners can do them standing with your feet about 18" away from the wall. the next step is elevated pushups where your feet are on the floor and your hands are on a bench or table. next step is hands on floor, knees on floor. then a traditional pushup. if you're hardcore you can have your hands on the floor and your feet elevated. the possibilities are endless with pushups.
2. use dumbbells for all exercises requiring weights (the chest press, overhead press and side lateral raise).
3. dips can be done with your hands on a coffee table or other table, or even on steps. be careful of your elbows on this one. look on youtube for correct form.
4. focus on keeping your core tight for the plank. entire body should be straight, don't let anything droop!
5. lie on your back on the floor for the chest press if you are at home, harder surface better than couch or bed.
If you're not sure how to do an exercise, do a search on youtube (they have everything on there - don't get distracted!), or consult either of these exercise libraries:
If you're still not sure how to do something, or have any other questions about the workout or anything else EMAIL ME!!
All of the usual disclaimers apply: consult with your doctor before starting any workout program, I am not a doctor, any and all fitness and nutrition advice I give is to be taken into consideration as to whether it is right for you, by you.